Saturday, April 7, 2012

Thoughts of My Own

     The little man squawked last night from his upstairs crib.  I  ascended the brown carpet to his room, finding him upright, reaching through the bars towards his favorite corner of blue-blanket that had somehow found its way to the floor.  I retrieved it for him and gave him one of those father-son squeezes that brought the inkling of a smile to the outside of his pacifier… as well as to the inside of my heart.  Quickly he was back asleep.

     I stood, more awake now it seemed.  I got to wondering what the future will hold for our little man?  Will he be good with words and letters like his 4 year-old sister?  Will he always laugh when the cat dodges his outstretched hands?  Will there be a fondness in his heart for the outdoors like his old man? 

     Will he be able to roll his tongue and pat his head while rubbing his tummy?  Will he be honest and responsible?  Will he protect his older sister when they are in high school together, and those senior boys start making jokes about her?

     Will he remember to aim at the back of the rim on his free throws and learn to keep his eye on that curveball when the count is 1 and 2?  Will he tackle with his eyes up and feet moving?  Will he be a leader or a follower?
 
     Man, there are sure a lot of ‘what ifs’ and ‘I hope so’ feelings involved with this whole Dad thing.   First things first; let’s just make sure that blue blanket stays in the crib for a little while longer. At least for tonight.

-TGI

3 comments:

  1. You ARE a great writer, Buzz! I hope you share your work with your students. What a great example you set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Thanks Lisa! Happy Easter to you and your Family!

      Delete
    2. Oh...and by the way, I once had this pretty great Social Studies teacher that set a good example. He wrote song lyrics, follwed his dreams andtold us to do the same. I think you may know him:_)

      Delete